Wednesday, May 14, 2008

In Too Deep

And so another tour comes to an end. The final show we played with our boys Alive In Wild Paint was at a place in Tucson called Solar Culture - an amazing gallery with a knack for doing great shows.

We've never driven back to Texas from Arizona at the end of a tour but we decided we'd leave after the show and drive 14 hours through the night to make it back home by Monday afternoon. We've done worse. When we went to LA for the beginning of the Limbeck tour we drove straight there. When our Wyoming show on this tour got cancelled we spent about 16 hours in the van backtracking from closed highway to closed highway finally making it to Salt Lake at something like 4 AM.

I don't know what most bands do but I know for a fact that if I was making those treks on my own I would've spent quite a few nights in motel rooms and not on the highway. But gas is more expensive than ever and it's cheaper and more fun to stay with friends, even if it means being a bit bleary-eyed the next day. These crazy drives we do through the middle of the night, back and forth across America; I think they're pretty indicative of who we really are as a band. We often tell each other we're in too deep now. Too deep to quit busting our asses. To deep to not give it a shot. Too deep to not push through with one more midnight van ride through the middle of the God-forsaken desert. So we keep going. Filling up the tank one more time and giving it all we've got. We're in too deep to back off now...

Ryan

4 comments:

M@ said...

Hey guys - I almost missed seeing you last week because the event was listed for the wrong location. But after calling the supposed production company, they pointed me in the right direction. You definitely played the best set of the night! Hope to see you through Socal again soon!

Mayabb said...

In too deep? That's what she said...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the hard work that goes into being The New Frontiers. You guys are amazing.

Unknown said...

I just wanted to say I saw you guys at the show in Phoenix (did you know that venue doubles as a church?), and you were totally awesome. I've been listening to you, and getting my friends to do the same ever since.